Friday, August 26, 2011

New/Old Friend

    Christina and I met and were friends back in the sixth grade and into junior high until some circumstances kept us from spending any time together. We ended up going to the same high school, but by then we both had new circles of friends and didn't spend much time together. One day, she disappeared from school. I asked around, but no one seemed to know what happened to her. Back then (in the late 90's) there was no facebook or myspace to reconnect with people, but I always wondered what happened to her. When I did get into myspace and then facebook in my mid 20's I searched her name to no avail. Finally last year I did a random search on FB and found her!! She looked exactly the same as she did back in grade school! At first she wasn't sure who I was (because of my married name), but then it all came back- Dr. Pepper floats and swimming in socks- how could we forget!? We talked about getting together, but to be honest I dragged my feet like I always do with old friends... never sure what people will think of me after all these years.
Earlier this week Christina had posted on FB that she needed someone to work on her car. She knew what the problem was, but didn't have money for a mechanic just the parts. I was excited to text Kenny, who was in Vegas working, to see if he would be willing to do it. Of course he was since he LOVES to work on cars (and projects like this are much cheaper than a project car), plus he gets to help someone out... and I get to reconnect with an old pal!

When Christina and Jonas, her son, arrived Jonas came right up to me with a exuberant greeting. It was really sweet, especially since I always worry about first impressions with kids! It seemed like no time had passed, but at the same time SO much time had passed. We talked all evening long while the boys played and the men labored away on the car.

Look at her poor child! HOT with sticky ice cream all over him! 
 We ordered pizza and got treats from the ice cream man. Finally it was getting super late for her kiddo and we decided to take her home and then drop the car off the next day once it was finished.... We got all the way to her apartment and realized... the mechanics had her keys,  so we came back. At this point the project had taken a turn for the better and was well underway so Christina decided to stay and wait. Finally around 1:30 or 2 AM, exhausted, but proud Kenny and Brian announced the new started was installed and the job was complete!

Although things didn't go as planned and I was totally exhausted the next day teaching my class it was a really, really great night. I am totally inspired to try to start making some of my craft items to sell (if time will allow) and I can't wait to hang out with my new/old friend sometime soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment