Monday, January 9, 2012

Family Bible Study Night

I got a wild hair on Sunday and prepared 3 meals... I know you are shocked huh? 

I made this recipe for tonight's dinner- 

BLACKEYED PEA SOUP

1 lb. dried blackeyed peas (2 c.)
Water
Salt and pepper to taste
12 slices bacon, cubed
3 med. potatoes, cubed
1 lg. onion, cubed
1 lg. can diced Rotel tomatoes/green chilies with liquid
Worcestershire sauce to taste
Tabasco sauce to taste


Place peas with plenty of water (seasoned to taste with salt and pepper) in a large crock pot. Cook on low overnight. The next morning, saute bacon until crisp. Add potatoes and onions to bacon and cook until onions are soft. Add to peas in crock pot, along with drippings. Add tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco sauces. Cook on low all day.

It made SO much food I decided to invite my family over. My dad couldn't make it because he was late coming home from work, but my mom took him some. It came out really good but a little spicy for my mom, Jacob and Little Brian, but they still liked it. I think Little Brian's exact comment was, "Wow this is actually good." Lol he has so much confidence in his Aunt's cooking huh?? My brother recalled the last time we had black eye peas here... neither of the boys would eat it because they said it was looking at them... lol!

We pulled out this special plate (even though we were eating out of bowls) that Linda Lee, my teacher from YW gave us as a wedding gift (sure can see all the finger prints huh?) . Jacob was tickled to use it and is so excited for his 5th b-day in 2 days! 

Since we were already together we decided to go ahead and do out family Bible study for the week. We have been doing this for the past 2 months now... I really enjoy it and it helps us keep our house vacuumed and dusted and pretty much makes us cook at least once a week (although last week we did just order pizza). Sometimes my mom cooks for us or brings a desert to share. Tonight I made rice krispy treats which everyone loved. I gave Little Brian an extra large piece and said, "oops is that too big?" after I handed it to him. He replied with a big grin and wide eyes, "Who cares if its too big" and walked away. : ) 


Tonight we read about the Good Samaritan. We all knew that Parable, but it you can always take away something when studying the Bible .

There is always a lot of wrestling and horse play with my brother and the boys around... they are constantly asking my brother and Kenny if they 'want a piece of them' its pretty funny. Little Brian was bent over and Kenny was playing him when Jacob walked up and said, "Oww wedgie!" and pulled Little B's underwear up! Everyone thought it was terrible funny... great we are breading a bully... 

No comments:

Post a Comment