Monday, September 13, 2010

Fossil Springs

Saturday morning we had to pick up our bountiful blessings basket at 7AM so we didn't get on the road and pick up Jereme and Melodi until about 8:30. By the time we got to the trail head it was high noon, nothing like hiking in the heat of the day! Luckily it wasn't too hot. Our packs weighed in at 42 lbs for Jereme, 40 lbs for me and 35lbs each for Kenny and Melodi.

Kenny and I at the trail  head 

Jereme and Melodi at the trail head 

Kenny on the trail. 

We made it down in 2 1/2 hours and were all tired of carrying our packs. 



Here are the guys in our "living room"

I think we snagged pretty much the best spot in the whole place because some ladies had just packed up and offered it to us. Our tent looks like the guest house to their tent. 

 After we set up we went out exploring...


we found springs


a swimming hole with a rope swing (the water was too low though) 


 but I think my favorite was the waterfall off the old dam. 

you could actually jump off the fall and swim under that wall into the little "spa" area - we didn't try it. 

To get under the fall was difficult so just the guys ventured in.



Kenny swam in the pool below the falls to take this amazing picture.

This was a cool spot Kenny found. You could ride the current into the cave and back out.


Kenny and I in the cave


Jereme and Melodi crossing the fall 

 It started to get dark so we headed back to camp.We took a dip in the swimming hole near our camp site right before it got dark and then we all headed to bed at 8! I have to say sleeping in a tent is not one of my favorite things, but it was tolerable. Poor Kenny was a bit tall for the tent and his feet stuck out! We actually slept for 12 hours! Well I should say we were in the tent for 12 hours I probably woke up once an hour.. it was nice to be so near the creek, but it was pretty loud (Kenny and I thought it sounded like and oscillating fan!). The next morning we decided to find the springs on our way out of the canyon. We all knew it was going to be a tough hike out and we wanted to get started. We left camp about 10:00 and played in the spring for awhile.


The swimming hole


Kenny

the spring (see yesterday's video)
Me

the beautiful view 

Off we go... 

About 10:30 we were on the trail out... I am not going to lie it was really hard for me. The hike was rated 6 out of 10 for difficult and the elevation change is 1280 ft. Kenny ended up taking most of my weight in his pack and trudged on ahead of me.



view of the rim


Melodi and Jereme on one of our many breaks!



Jereme and Kenny 

Me and Melodi 

After the first 1 1/2 it got a lot easier, but we were all exhausted by the time we made it to the car! It took us 4 hours to hike 4 miles... We took our stinky, dirty, sore selves to Denny's for dinner in Camp Verde and drove on home.

1 comment: