Thursday, May 6, 2010

Bread Pudding

My grandma subscribes my mom, aunt, me and herself to Simple & Delicious magazine. Each month we get it and a flip through it telling each other "Ooooww did you see page 12, doesn't that look good?" But we rarely make anything from it... SO I got the idea to make something out of it each week when I go visit my grandma. This was the first thing she chose. Bread Pudding. I have never eaten bread pudding so I wasn't sure what to expect or what to compare it to... kinda looks like barf too.... It was DELICIOUS! So rich and sweet! It was a little too sweet for my grandma AND it serves 12 so I took the leftovers to work and they devoured it!

Although the recipe shows $1.48 per serving it actually cost about $25 to make... ouch! Luckily Wednesday when Ken and I were at the Suns game our section won "section of the game" and we each got $5 gift cards to Frys! What a deal!

Anyway, here is the recipe.

Prep: 15 mins + standing
yield : 12 servings
Cost : $1.48/ serving
Bake time: 50- 55 mins

Ingredients :
3 eggs
4 cups heavy whipping cream
2 cups of sugar
3 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups fresh or frozen berries
1 pkg white baking chips
1 loaf of french bread cut in 1 inch cubes

Sauce-
1 pkg white baking chips
1 cup heave whipping cream

In a large bowl, combine the eggs, cream, sugar and vanilla. Stir in berries and baking chips. Stir in bread cubes; let stand for 15 mins or until bread is softened.

Transfer to a greased 13 X 9 inch baking dish. Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 50-55 mins or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 mins before serving.

For sauce, place baking chips in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream to a boil. Pour over baking chips; whisk until smooth. Serve with bread pudding.


No comments:

Post a Comment