Sunday, June 13, 2010

Deep Sea Fishing

Sunday morning we woke up at 4:30AM and groggily headed to the harbor. I was super nervous about getting sea sick, and took Bonine- worked like a charm! We checked in, got our rental equipment and waited to board the boat.
We think this is the same boat Kenny and his grandpa took years ago when they went Deep Sea Fishing.
When we went to get the boat loaded up with bait we sat and watch the sea lions on the docks. They crack me up how they "talk!
This is one of the bait bins... When I first saw this I thought "There is NO way I am baiting my own hook!"
Here is another shot of the bait bins. Those white specks on his shorts are SCALES! They get everywhere! It is kinds gross, but they do sparkle.

When the deck hands were explaining things about the boat I couldn't see so Kenny told me to go up a little further... right when I did the deck hand went to throw a dead fish overboard but instead it hit me right in the face! Everyone laughed... I laughed later.
One thing about deep sea fishing is you have to change your bait often. About every 5 minutes they would yell "Change your bait, every new fish is another chance" So Kenny feverishly changed both of our baits for the first 4 times... then he said why don't you go get your bait and I will hook it for you. I didn't want to, but I though I should at least try. To be honest it was kind of fun to catch the swimming fish in your hand. Then he hooked it for me the next few times and then he said why don't you try putting it on the hook this time. I hated that part... putting the hook threw his chin and up between his eyes... so sick. I was really bad at it and kept decapitating my bait.
I actually caught the first Barracuda on the ship... I was really excited and had thoughts of how I would cook it up! The deck hand came over to help us get it into the boat... or so I thought. He took a look at it and said that is was too small and had to go back! He cut the line and threw it back!! I was super disappointed... no picture, no catch -- bummer!
I wised up and from then on as soon as one of us would get a bite the other would pull in their line and take a picture, before the threw it back!
Here is Kenny's Barracuda
And his Sea Bass
Here are our empty fish bags... We didn't end up catching anything we could keep! I caught just the one barracuda, but Kenny caught 2 barracuda and 2 sea bass.
Here is my handsome hubby after we had a nice lunch in Galley.
The birds were pretty amazing to me. After we stocked up on bait on the way out they followed the boat !
On the way back deck hands fillets the 150 fish the other people on the boat caught and through the guts overboard.... so the birds followed along and ate it!
We met a father and son from Phoenix too! They took this quick picture of us.
These birds were so crazy about getting into the bait bins!
I just love Sea Lions! They are like the dogs of the sea (from the little I know about them)! This one came up to the boat when we docked and begged for fish! He barked and jumped... it was so funny!

It was an awesome trip and I didn't get sick! Although when we stopped for dinner on the way home we both felt like we in waves.

No comments:

Post a Comment